Most of us are unaware of the seven centers of powerful energies located along the mid section of the human body. These energetic centers called chakras-from Hinduism, Sanskrit wheel- spans from our tail bone to the top of our head. A disbalance of one or more of these energetic centers can and do produce havoc in the normal functioning of the body.
Modern physiology locates these seven chakras to correspond to the seven main nerve ganglia that emanate from the spinal column. Eastern traditions associate colors and physio-emotional functions for each of the seven main chakras.
Description of each chakra from top down as follow:
- Crown chakra. It is located on top of the head and it is represented by the color White. It is considered to be the state of pure consciousness, within which there is neither object nor subject. It involves such issue as inner wisdom. Functions similar to the pituitary gland which secretes hormones to communicate to the rest of the endocrine system and hypothalamus
- The Third Eye chakra, located above the nose between the two eyebrows and is represented by the color indigo , violet or deep blue. It is linked to the pineal gland, a light-sensitive gland that produces melatonin, which regulates sleep and waking up. This chakra relates to intuition. Emotionally deals with clarity on an intuitive level.
- Throat chakra. Located at the throat. Its color is turquoise and it is related to communication and growth through expression. This chakra is compared to the thyroid gland which produces thyroid hormone responsible for growth and maturation. It governs independence and a sense of security.
- The Heart Chakra is located in the chest- Thymus area. It is represented by the color Green or Pink. The thymus is an element of the Immune system and also of the endocrine system. It is the site of maturation and responsible for protection against diseases and may be affected by stress. Key issues involving the Heart chakra are complex emotions, compassion, tenderness, unconditional love, equilibrium, rejection, and well-being. Physically, the Heart Chakra governs circulation, emotionally it governs unconditional love for the self and others, mentally it governs passion, and spiritually it governs devotion.
- The Solar Plexus or Navel Chakra is represented by the color Yellow. It is related to the pancreas y to the adrenal glands. Key health issues are, fear, anxiety, opinion -formation, introversion and transition from simple or base emotions to complete physical. It governs personal power and spirituality.
- The Sacral Chakra is represented by the color orange. It is located in the sacrum, and it is considered to correspond to the sex organs- testes and ovaries- related to the reproduction and to genitourinary systems. Problems with addictions, basic emotional needs, and pleasure. It governs joy and governs enthusiasm.
- The Root Chakra it is represented by the color red. It is located at the end of the spine in the coccygeal area. It is related to the gonads and adrenal medulla responsible for the fight or flight response when survival is under threat. It governs sexuality, mentally governs stability, emotionally it governs sexuality. Note. There are a few other minor chakras not detailed here.
A brief overview of the of the characteristics of each chakra alerts us of the possibilities of a disbalance of one or several of the chakras while confronting and trying to solve problems in our daily lives.
There are a few ways to balance the chakras, but you can learn to do it yourself. If not, chakras can be balanced back to normal by a trained professional.
I will briefly explain a method for chakra clearing (balancing) that you can learn to do yourself.
- Lay face up on a table or bed.
- Imagine a large clock on top of your belly. This will help you to guide the movements of your hands, clockwise or counter-clockwise.
- Rub both of your hands together to energize them for a couple of seconds.
- Then use one of your hands and move it in a counterclockwise in a circular way around the area of the first chakra(Root chakra) at the pubic area for a minimum of 70 times.
- After doing the above, shake your hand of the negative energy or immerse your hand in a bucket of fresh water mixed with a teaspoon of salt.
- Now continue, but this time move your clean hand clockwise over the same area, first chakra, 60 times. You have finished balancing the first chakra. Before you move to balance the second chakra or sacral chakra remember to shake your hand or immerse it in the same salted water as previously done.
- Now start balancing your second chakra, sacral chakra, located about 2 inches above the pubic area by moving your hand contraclockwise in a circular way for 70 times.
- After doing the above, again clean your hand by shaking it or by immersing in the salted water
- Now continue, but this time move you clean hand clockwise over the same area,sacral area, 60 times. Use the same procedure for all seven chakras. The only difference is that you have to keep moving upward toward the other chakras whose positions change as follows.
Third Chakra,Solar Plexus or Navel Chakra located at the navel.
Fourth Chakra or Heart Chakra located in the chest Thymus area.
The fifth Chakra is located at the throat.
The six Chakra is located just above the nose between the two eyebrows.
The seven Chakra is located on the top of the head.
As you gain experience Balancing your Chakras, with your eyes closed you might be able to see the rotation of your chakras as you balance them. Also,you may see the colors of your chakras.
Let me know of your experiences! Note. If you are treating a male patient everything is the same, except for the Seventh Chakra where you do the Clockwise movements first before and the counterclockwise last.